Sunday, September 07, 2008

Weekend doodles

It's the weekend...yayyyy....well, it was the weekend, now technically it's Monday, and I have class in 7 hours. But before sleepies, some drawings I suppose. Just outta my sketchbook to you. Sorta. This is like my digital sketchbook. Sorta. >_>

Yes, I like being ambiguous.

Anyways.....first, I got curious about Corel Painter, which I really haven't played too much with because last year I was zooed with too much animation homework. Right now I'm not too crazed with work so I'm able to play around some. So I took a photo of some bodybuilder/wrestler's back and just fiddled around with the oil tools in Corel.



Yeah, it's not done, and I'm not sure if I will anyways. It's just a study and after awhile the oil tools started to frustrate me a little. More practice is needed with them.

Then the other is my sketchbook...I started to doodle off of another picture using a ballpoint pen near me while watching wrestling...(yay for free streams, I can't afford WWE PPVs as a broke college student...), and this one...turned into a Matt ballpoint pen picture that's more realistic than I normally do him. Then I went a little crazy with the watercolors and white opaque ink stuff....and....something else happened.



Although I did make some happy accidents...and the lower half of the picture was NOT done from reference and thusly looks like half-crap...I kinda like it...it's....reminding me of all those Fabry/Bisley/Frazetta stuff that I've been looking like....and hey, I really like that sort of style. But it's not exactly the same, because watercolors are not like other paints and will always be a bit...spotty..and sketchy looking in comparision to thicker plastic-based acrylics or thick, lush oil paints. Glenn Fabry and Simon Bisley use acrylics, and if I remember correctly, Bisley also on occasion will use either airbrush or oils....Frazetta I have no clue but my first guess would be oils knowing classically trained artists.

Class soon. I'm going to get my arse kicked because I accidentally overslept his class last time, and I didn't get to show my thumbnails to him....*bites lip*...not that I'm enjoying the political thing really....I HATE POLITICS....thus why I had so much trouble thinking of a concept and thusly why I overslept. *sigh* But of course I'm not going to say that to him, that would just be suicide right there for my grade and probably wouldn't make a nice impression....=_=...but then again, I doubt I had little impression to begin with, nor did missing a crit (granted, only a thumbnail crit) put me any better off. *SIGH*

Later days.

No comments: